Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Talent" Book


Don’t laugh at me for buying a book written by a “talent.” To be honest, I’m easy to get influence from advertising. Anyhow, I heard in a variety show or somewhere about the book entitled “Homeless Chugakusei (Homeless Junior High School Student)” written by Tamura of Kirin—manzai comedian. I had known a little bit about his poor childhood because he used to talk about it in every TV program which he appeared. But, I bought the book anyway.

Simply put, it is heartwarming. I happened to buy the book in Osaka (acutally, the Junkudo bookstore in front of Nanba Grand Kagetsu) and read in the train from Tennnojo to Wakayama. It is a short story so that I finished reading during that about an hour train trip. I couldn’t help but wiping tears a couple of times while reading. I was not interested in how poor Tamura was, but in his gratitude and affection toward his family, friends and neighbors. Of course, a higly skilled editor or two constructed the plot to make the story humorous as well as moving and to make Tamura look good. But put that aside, I simply enjoyed the one-hour reading.

Oops, I remember I have books to read. I shouldn't have wasted my time reading this kind of book. I know, I know.