Saturday, May 23, 2009

Something Very Wrong with the Medical System in This Country


I've got the medical bill from my eye doctor, who gave me a complete eye exam for a prescription for contact lenses. I just wanted to have a prescription, but why did he give me a complete eye exam?! That's my initial question. And the day I visited, he didn't prescribe a prescription. I had to visit the office again 10 days later to try on trial contact lenses. I thought I would finally get a prescription, but I was wrong. The doctor ordered a box of contact lenses through his affiliated spectacle shop, but he didn't give me a prescription. I didn't and don't get it. A couple of days later, I got a phone call from the spectacle shop which told me that my contact lenses were ready. I went to the shop to collect my contact lenses which are expensive, of course, expecting finally I would get a prescription. But no. I asked the guy how I could get my prescription. And he told me that he was not qualified to issue a prescription and needed to ask the doctor. I asked him to ask the doctor. And finally, a couple of days later, my prescription was mailed. What's the hell?! At that point, I thought this country's medical system was ridiculous. A contact lens prescription would be issued in one visit in Japan, without that time-consuming, meaningless complete exam.

Today, the bill came. The bill says the doctor is charging me $103.36! He must be kidding me! This is after insurance. This is ridiculous. My eye doctor in Japan teased me by saying he would like to practice in the United States.

Fixing a little cavity cost $75, a prescription for contact lenses cost $103 ... This country's medical system is really, really wrong. I can't get sick in this country.