Sunday, July 19, 2009

Urgh, I'm home ...

After 40 days without stress, anxiety, or study, I don’t blame myself of whining, “I don’t want to go home. I don’t want to go to the United States!” So, I whined a lot. But, I have a flight to catch, and the flight leaves on time. Damn, this modern society.

I left Osaka around 5:00 pm, and arrived in San Francisco around 11:00 am. It’s still 19. A long day.

My connecting flight was scheduled to leave around 8:00 pm. Nine hours to kill. OK, let’s think about what to do after a beer. I had an expensive airport beer lunch.

On the way to the gate, I found an airlines ground staff at the counter, who seemed to do nothing. So, I spoke to her, “Hi. My flight leaves at 8:00, but I wonder if there’re any available earlier flights.” The lady typed the keyboard for a second, and said, “Well, the next flight is all full.” “OK, then, I give up. I will wait until 8:00.” “The flight is full, but I can put you in standby. It’s worth trying.” Isn’t she nice? I was moved to know that kind of customer-friendly staff is working for United.

She is great. I could catch the earlier flight, and arrive in the final destination around the time when I left Osaka. Today is a long day.