Wednesday, January 12, 2011

9-Year-Old Speech Trainer

I'm housesitting my friend's place with a 9 years old and 11 years old. They are easy-going nice kids to hang out with.

The 9-year-old boy is a smart pants. Yesterday, I told him something, and he didn't understand my English, or pronunciation, I should say. I explained him, "You know what? The Japanese tongue is really lazy. When you speak, you move your tongue a lot, right? Touching your upper jaw, lower jaw, teeth and everywhere. But, The Japanese tongue just stay in the air when they speak. That's why we can't say 'r' correctly." The boy just made an "uh-huh" face that time.

Overnight into this morning. Because the boy would have a violin lesson after school, I made sure by telling him, "Don't forget to take your violin to school." And, I wondered if I pronounced "violin" correctly. I asked him if I did. Then, he said with a big smile, "You know, violin doesn't have 'r' in it. So, you were OK." What a smart pants! He is so funny.