Saturday, January 1, 2011

Skype Business


Well, I hadn't known about the outage that Skype recently experienced until I read news stories online. According to news, Skype was giving away $1-worth vouchers to users. I didn't pay attention to this news too much because I thought I was not qualified for the voucher. In fact, I didn't experience any inconvenience because of the outage. I don't use Skype all the time, anyway.

Unexpectedly, I received an apology email from Skype yesterday. Alright then, why don't I use the voucher?

What happened was, though, the email didn't have a voucher code to activate. What a stupid mistake Skype made (again!)! I sent an email to the customer service to complain about this. Unexpectedly again, Skype responded to my email early this morning. Wow, that's fast. Skype seemingly sent out a bunch of emails without a voucher code, and they said they would resend emails to those who didn't get a voucher code soon. Unexpectedly again and again, I received another email with a voucher code by this evening. I was impressed by the quick responses of Skype. Very nice.

So, I activated the $1-worth coupon, which was supposed to worth 30-minutes call to international land phones. This is New Year's Day in my time. I called my mom to see if they were having fun. I had known they had been because my brother had sent me a couple of family photos that he took during this break a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I chatted with my mom for a while, say, 10, 15 minutes. Then, I realized I spent more than $2! Then, again, I realized this is the business of Skype. They say, "Here's $1 coupon. I'm so sorry about the inconvenience." Then, you feel Skype is a nice company. You use the free coupon, expecting you can chat for 30 minutes. Then, you spend more than you should. Geez, but a good business strategy.