Friday, January 21, 2011

Commercial Shooting!

I had an exciting experience today. Well, not so exciting, but it was fun to meet new people and do something extraordinary. Anyway, today, I went to commercial shooting with local TV people. Actually, they shot me, not by a gun, but by video.

The commercial is about Rotary. I was supposed to say how much Rotary means to me. Before shooting, I asked the crew to correct my pronunciation of "Rotary." Rotary is one of the most difficult English words for me to say. SB turned out to be a great speech trainer, successfully correcting my pronunciation. He gave me a piece of advice, "Try to say 'd' instead of 't.'" It ended up sounding like "roudri." That worked! I've got perfect pronunciation of "Rotary"!

It is a local TV commercial, and it's low-budget, simple one. The equipment was digital video camera and microphone, and that's it. Video production major students or the like sometimes ask me to participate in video interviews, and they shoot videos of me. Today's commercial shooting was almost like what students do. Then I thought, journalism school here is giving students practical skills. Students can use their skills that they learn at college on the job if they get a job in such field. Getting a job in the media is another issue, though. And, it is also another issue that such educational focus has turned universities to be vocational schools.