Friday, February 18, 2011

Basketball Entertainment


DS's family invited me for the Harlem Globetrotters at the brand-new basketball arena tonight. DS didn't join us unfortunately because she is in Seattle today.

Anyway, when they told me about this event, I was more interested in the new arena because it is a controversial building. When the university is financially struggling, why do they build such an expensive arena even though there's another arena? No, the new arena will bring lots of money to the university. Or something like that. So, I wanted to see the arena with my own eyes. I had seen the exterior before, but I hadn't seen the interior.


Yes, it's a beautiful arena. I don't know about financial issues of the arena, how much debts and how much profit and so on, but as an piece of audience, it's fantastic. This kind of venue must easily attract big events and big-name performers. Actually, Elton John performed last night.


The Globetrotters' performance was fun, and their basketball techniques were amazing. It was a clean, sound, family-friendly pure entertainment.

But, one thing I was annoyed was commercials during intervals. Of course, this is a business and needs advertising (sponsors) to subsidize ticket prices and stuff. But, in every interval, the MC announced Greyhound, Campbell, to name a few, like television commercials. Stuff with those advertisers' names came on the court and played a little games. That was annoying. But, there's advertising everywhere inside the arena in the first place. Pretty American capitalism and consumerism.