Monday, May 26, 2008

Cockney ...


I like Britain, and actually I'm missing my days in the U.K. Why am I here?! What am I doing here?! Well, I have trouble in the TA thing for a couple of days (I hate this in-between work!), and that's why I'm whining.

Anyhow, SA and I went to see "The Bank Job" tonight. Yes, SA is my $1 threater (and entertainment in general) buddy.

The movie is based on a true story (I like this kind of sotry!) about the notorious bank robbery in London in the 1970s. Because it is set in Londong, English in the movie is of course British English. And what is worse, robbers are commoners (not eduacated people). That is, they speak Cockney. Man, it's not English to me at all! Even SA, a native American English speaker, said that he didn't understand what they were talking.

The movie itself is slightly more than OK though I wonder myself how much I understood the movie. It's about the bank robbery but the politics (and the Royal Family, too) is also intertwined. It's kind of complicated, but simply put, it's abotu sex and the politics, as always.