Monday, August 16, 2010

MLK


Atlanta is the birthplace of Martin Luther King Jr., which I didn't know until today (I thought he was from Alabama). So, I visited the area where he was born and grew up. It is a little away from downtown, but you can walk down there from downtown. It is kind of a worn-out (black) area so that you may feel uncomfortable walking down the street. You don't see anyone other than African-Americans on the way, but you see lots of tourists in various colors including white (if you say white is a color) around the MLK historic site, which is interesting to me. I assume those tourists drove there and would drive back to their comfortable area as soon as they finish taking photos of the historic stuff there. Interesting, and sadly, very much American.


Americans love eternal flame stuff? This eternal flame is for MLK. And, I remember I saw the eternal flame for JFK in the Arlington National Cemetery long time ago :P


Again, I was wrong. I thought MLK was from a poor family, but he was actually from a middle class family. This is the house where he was born.