Monday, December 6, 2010

American University Education

I have felt students (mostly freshmen) this term are really bad in terms of their attitudes and intellectual capacity.

Here is a premise. The class had the final at night. Now, here are things that I experienced only today.

This morning, I got an email from a student by saying that she wanted to know what grade she got on her writing assignment. My question was, "So, what happens if she knows her grade on her paper now? Is she going to study hard for the final? Or drop the class in this finals week???" Of course, I didn't tell her her grade because grades of paper assignments were not open yet. I don't know what she did because she didn't respond to my email. That's the way of students. They are rude.

Around 4, I got another email from a different student. He wanted to have answers for study guides for two days that I assume are days he missed class. Man, too late. And, those days were a month ago. If he really wanted to know the answers, he could have visited me during my office hours, much earlier, not like three hours before the exam. Give me a break. I emailed him back, but I didn't give him answers.

During the exam, I was asked several stupid questions. That happens all the time. The most brilliant one is, "Um, I just want to make sure federal is nationwide?" What?! Don't you know what "federal" means?! Are you really from a country governed by a federal government? Are you a citizen paying federal tax? Have you watched police movies and TV shows in which people are wearing jackets with the sign of FBI? Who are those FBI people? Jeez, she doesn't deserve college education.