Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jim Henson


As you may know, in Washington D.C., there are tons of museums. And they are free, basically. Very good, isn't it? But the bad thing is it is hard to decide which musuem to go, especially when your itinerary is tight. That's my case. I have only two days in Washington D.C.

We came to the Mall anyway. And we came across Kermit the Frog. Oh well, a special exhibition of Jim Henson, the creator of Kermit the Frog, at the Smithsonian International Gallery.

I knew Kermit the Frog, but I didn't know about the creator at all. But because she grew up in the States and Maryland where Jim Henson is from, SH was excited to see the exhibition. OK, why not?

... And the exhibition turned to be awesome to me. In the exhibition, you see many puppets which Jim Henson created. At the same time, a variety of his quotes are displayed so you understand what Jim Henson thought of his creative world and, more importantly to me, the media. Because he started his career as a TV commercial creator, he knew the impact which TV has on people. When he started kids' programs such as the Sesame Street, he got rid of commercials. In the video clip from the Emmy Awards back in sometime in the 1980s, which is displayed in the exhibition, he says something really interesting to me. Damn, I don't remember what he was saying. I'd better ask the Smithsonian for the transcript.