Friday, November 25, 2011

Bye-Bye Evil Bank of America


I closed my BA account this afternoon. I was thinking of doing so for a long time, but I didn't want to stay in a long line to do so, which prevented me from doing so. But today is Black Friday when everyone is busy going shopping crazy, and the bank must be slow. I was right. No line at all.

The atmosphere at the bank was a little different. In the first place, a guard was standing at the entrance (because of the Occupy thing). And a bank clerk asks you the reason of closing the account (because of the Occupy thing). Because I saw a news clip in which a customer who closed her account with Citibank was arrested at the bank, I didn't tell the clerk that I closed my account because I've been pissed off by BA. Instead, I told him that I may be leaving the country. That is not necessarily a lie. I have to leave the country, as early as the spring, if I can't find a job. So, the clerk closed my account without asking me further questions.

This is a small town, but the Occupy thing is apparently going on. Actually, some people have been arrested. I felt uneasy by looking at the militarization of banks and police. Where is this country heading to?