Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Border Town


DM and CM took me to Palomas, Mexico, where recently drug gangs have made headlines by shooting each other and threatening police officers (actually, the police chief fled and sought political asylum in the United States). Anyhow, Tijuana (another border town of Mexico) gave me a terrible impression when I visited there more than 10 years ago so that I didn't have good images of Mexico at all.

We parked the car before the border and walked across the border. Before crossing the border, you see those ugly fences built between the United States and Mexico. I don't think those fences prevent illegal immigrants (or terrorists) from crossing borders, in fact, they are coming from Canadian-U.S. borders.


Palomas, as I imagined, is a poor, dusty town with street vendors and beggars everywhere. But you know, this is a town of the Third World next to the First World, and what do you expect?


I met a cute buddy in a pottery shop there. He used me as the shade ... :(