Monday, June 16, 2008

Locked Out


It was too late when the door shut behind me. I locked myself out. I left everything in the house: the key, cell phone, purse, water, sunscreen and so forth. I thought what I should do in the shade of the garage. It’s Los Angeles, and the scorching sun would kill me.

Wait until someone comes home? Nay. It was 10:00 in the morning. They will come home in the afternoon. I would die stay outside without water. Call EC. That seemed to be the best solution. But how? I left my phone inside, and I don’t know her phone number or office phone number without my cell phone. Let’s ask neighbors.

I rang the door bell of the next-door neighbor. A young lady with a baby came to the door, but she was cautious enough not to open the iron door outside. It’s L.A., and what else should I expect? Anyhow, I explained everything: I visited EC and JC, locked myself out, don’t know EC’s office number and needed her help. She must have thought that I was a weird Asian. But she was nice. She called 411 (? I don’t know, but it’s the telephone directory service) to find out EC’s office number. Eventually, she called EC’s office and passed the phone to me. Unfortunately, I was forwarded her voicemail. I left my message anyway.

I appreciated the next-door neighbor’s help and came back to the garage. I didn’t know what to do next other than to hope EC listen to my message and come home during lunchtime.

I was really lucky because EC came home in 30 minutes to open the door for me. Thank Buddha, I won’t be grilled by the California scorching sun! And thank EC for coming home all the way!