Monday, July 4, 2011

The First 4th of July


I never spent the Fourth of July in this country because I was either in Japan or traveling somewhere else. So, this is the first time for me to be in the United States on July 4.

I was excited to see what people would do for today. Luckily, three of my friends invited their parties. I asked them what they would do. They said, "We will have BBQ and fireworks." OK, three different parties would do BBQ and fireworks. That is, July 4 is the date of BBQ and fireworks. That's what I learned.

I have only this tiny body, so I picked up the party that invited me first. It was a nice mixture of people--Caucasians, Hawaiians, Japanese American, old and young people. The party was held in a gigantic house where only two people live. Oh man, look at my little apartment. Thinking that I'll never own that kind of huge house, I felt wealth is never equally distributed. Of course, we are living in capitalist society. How could I forget that?

Marxism aside, it was pretty fun to see a bunch of friendly people and have good food.