Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First Offense Afterward ...

I committed my first traffic violation a week ago, which costs me $300 on the citation. In order to avoid this outrageous amount of fine, I called the municipal court yesterday for a reduction in my traffic violation. The lady who answered my phone said she could reduce it to $175. I was like, "Still $175?!" And she suggested to me to actually appear in the court. The judge may give me a further reduction, she said.

Hoping a further reduction, I went to the court this morning. At the window, I was told that my fine is $175. I came to the court to ask for a further reduction! So, I was sent to the court. There were several offenders before me, including speeding, cell phone charge, driving with a suspended license, driving a car without insurance, etc. etc. Each offender took 30 seconds or so to be judged. That's really fast.

My turn came. I approached the judge. The judge read my violation and asked me if I'm guilty. I don't think driving without lights is a crime, but I couldn't help but say guilty. I wondered if there's any better word instead of "guilty." After I acknowledged my guilt, the judge asked me an explanation. I explained that I was just out of a gas station that was brightly lit. And the judge concluded my case by saying, "Your fine is $175. Can you pay today?" Damn, I'm cursed with $175. Compared with the fine of $300, $175 is much better. And I had a court experience, which was interesting, but of course expensive.