Monday, February 20, 2012

First Offense

Damn, for the first time, I was pulled over by the police tonight! After dinner with DS and MB, I realized that my van was running out of gas. I drove to the gas station located in a shopping mall. Because it is in the brightly-lit parking lot, I forgot to turn the lights on when I left the gas station. Unfortunately, usually fortunately, the street is also well lit, bright enough to see the street without car lights. So, I kept driving without lights on. I saw a police car on the other side of the street. The next moment, I saw the police car right behind me. Then, I realized that the lights were not on. I turned them on and kept driving. The police car was still behind me. I thought it's weird. With no sirens, the police car was just following me. So, I kept driving. A few minutes later, the police car put the siren on. Without knowing what to do, I pulled over anyway.

An officer approached me. He asked me for my driver's license, insurance and registration. He asked if the address on my driver's license is the current one. I had to explain about my current floating life to make him understood why I'm using my friend's office address. And I had to explain why I'm driving my friend's car because the insurance and registration are under my friend's name.

With that information, he went back to his police car to check out who I am. It took a while. While I was waiting, I called GM, my police friend, to ask what is happening to me. He just laughed hard, listening to my story. What a friend, GM! But he said it's not going to be a bid deal. I hung up the phone when the officer came back.

The police officer seemingly found I'm clear. He said he pulled me over because he thought I'm a drunk driver. It's understandable because I kept driving for a while even though the police car was right behind me. But I didn't hear sirens. Why should I pull over?! Then, he said, "You saw my lights." Yeah, I saw your lights, and I just thought you were driving the same direction that I was going, man. My excuse didn't make any difference. He wrote a ticket and told me that I could appear in court. What, court?! He also told me that there were a few options instead of appearing in court. Those options are printed in the back of the  ticket. But I couldn't read them because they are fine letters and it was dark.

After I came home, I called GM again to ask about what I have to do. He said that I may appear in court to request a reduction in the fine. Fine?! I didn't know the police officer charged me fine. GM said, "OK, look at the ticket, close to the bottom, there should be the fine." I closely looked at my ticket. And I was astonished at the amount of fine. It's $300! Ridiculous! I just forgot to turn the lights on. The police charged me $300 for driving without lights?! Ridiculous! GM kept telling me that I can reduce the fine or waive if I appear in court or do other option. According to GM, the court usually reduces the fine, especially in my case, this is my first offense so that the court should be pretty easy on me. GM suggested to me to call the court to request a reduction. I will definitely do. I can't afford to pay $300 for driving without lights on.

Now, calming down at home, I feel I'm lucky. How much would the police charge me if they catch me drunk driving?! It must be an outrageous fine.

I'm celebrating my first offense with wine at home.