Friday, February 24, 2012

Thai Cooking

J and D, my next-door neighbors, well, actually JH's next-door neighbors because I'm just sitting the house here, invited me to their house for a dinner. The other day, J came to my door and told me that he just came back from Thailand. He is very much into Thai cooking (he actually took cooking lessons with professional chefs in Thailand), and he cooks Thai food whenever he gets opportunities. So, he has found a new taster, me, which is good for me, woo-hoo!

As J told me, I went to their house around 6:30. J was in the kitchen, and D was gone to the nearby fitness club for yoga. J welcomed me in and gave me an apron. Apron?! J said, "How can you help me?" Alright, I like that!

So, we cooked together. Well, I basically chopped stuff, and J did important stuff. It was a good opportunity for me to experience how to cook Thai food. I thought Thai cooking is hard because it uses a lot of spices and ingredients unfamiliar to me, but in reality, it was not, or at least it didn't look difficult today. Eventually, D came home, and she volunteered to set the table. She expected the food was ready, but we were apparently behind schedule. Too much talking.

Tonight's menu was dumplings, grapefruit salad, soup, and stuffed crabs. All dishes were great, though J was not perfectly satisfied. According to him, crabs were not as good as he expected. He thought he should have used smaller crab shells. I see ...

J is a chatty person who can't stop talking once he starts talking about Thai food. Because D seemed sleepy, I tried to excuse myself, but I couldn't because J never stopped talking! Funny. So, it took another 30 minutes to  stand up, another 10 minutes to reach the front door and another 10 minutes to actually leave. Hilarious! Oh, it was a fun night!