Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Complaining Student

Oh-oh, I got a direct complaint from a student about my grading. Yes, I graded his essay and gave it a poor mark because he didn't follow the guideline which the professor indicated. The guideline says the essay must discuss ONE medium (television, radio, Internet, newspaper, magazine,or whatever), but what he did is to refer to The Economist, The Financial Times and Reuters. Excuse me, all three are different media: The Economist is a magazine, The Financial Times is a newspaper, and Retuers is a news agency. Well, I understand that he wanted to discuss "financial stuff" in his paper, but I couldn't give him full points because he ignored the guideline.

Anyhow, he came to me after class and insisted that The Economist is categorized as a newspaper and Reuters publishes a financial paper for ordinary readers. Really?! I don't think so. I asked him to send his evidence via email. Now, I'm waiting for his email.