Sunday, April 6, 2008

Japanese Americans


Japanese Americans had a hard time during WWII. Because of Japan's Pearl Harbor attack, people who have Japanese ancestry were discriminated and sent to concentration camps. Japanese American students that time were rejected to be given diplomas from the university. Today, to make up for that, there was a ceremony to honor those ex-students of this university. I only attended kind of a panel discussion, but I felt something uncomfortable. I think honoring discriminated people is a good thing. But Japanese Americans at the panel were all successful people, and I wonder how about other Japanese Americans who experienced the same situation and couldn't succeed in later their lives. Not everyone can be successful, right? I think it's more important to look at people who can't make their lives normal after that national discrimination against them. I thought the university honored (successful) ex-Japanese American students because it can take advantage of them. It may ask for donation or whatever because they are successful. Actually, they are medical doctors, lawyers, university professors and so forth. In a sense, they are powerful in the society. I felt that I saw another American hypocrisy :(