Saturday, January 19, 2008

Funeral House-Turned-Theater


I terribly needed entertainment! So, I forced DG to see "The Savages" with me. In fact, he wanted to do something else such as going to a cultural event and seeing other movie which interests him more. Anyhow, I know he is a good boy to come with me :)

The movie was on this weekend at Bijou. It was the first time for me to go there. The theater has a little creepy atmosphere, partly or mainly because it used to be a funeral house. But the structure of the building is interesting. To get to the bathroom, for example, you go out to the patio and walk on the curving hallway with low ceiling along the patio, passing a couple of small doors. People who are working in the theater are also unique, or in other words, punk. Actually, two girls wore Gothic and nose piercings. Oh, I didn't check if they had tattoos.

I couldn't miss "The Savages" because Philip Seymour Hoffman, one of my favorite actors, is in. Simply put, it was great. It's about adult siblings who have a dementia father. The siblings are not close to each other or to their father at all. The father was a child-abusing kind, that's why. Both of the siblings have their own problems, which you would feel sympathy for. Human relationships are never easy ... At any rate, it is a sad, thought-provoking, sympathetic movie worth to see.