Sunday, January 20, 2008

Inconspicuous Candidate


As soon as I came home from the library (well, going to the library is my routine anyway) for super, someone knocked my door. I opened the door. Well, I'm living here in the hippie town, not in a big city like Tokyo, so that I usually open the door without thinking of being attacked. There's neither a peeping hole on my door nor a intercom in my apartment, by the way.

So, I opened the door and found a friendly-looking woman in casual clothes standing. She began to talk about a Republican candidate who I didn't know. I told her that I'm not a U.S. citizen (therefore, I don't have a right to vote) because I didn't waste my time (I was hungry, that's why I came home!), and she left, leaving a campaign flier and a candidate's name card.

After finishing supper, I wondered how hard for Republican candidates to do campaign in liberal states like here. What is worse, he is not known at all mainly because the media are ignoring unknown candidates completely. Well, it can be considered other kind of media influence.

Needless to say, I went back to the library after pondering :(