Friday, August 21, 2009

Girls DVD Night


AL organized a girls DVD night tonight. Girls, and, therefore, "Sex and the City." I didn't understand this logic, but I do now. It's a chick movie, well, a movie for girls in their 30s or over. I was so ignorant about this movie and TV series that I did not know they were huge hits (among girls, of course).

Simply put, this is a happy-ending movie as the majority of Hollywood movies are. It's fine to me because it is Friday and I needed some entertainment, but it was not to AL. It should not end happily!, AL says. AL knows the whole TV series. Given the TV series, this happy ending of the movie is impossible. I see ...

One thing that I was annoyed in the movie was product placements, tons of product placements, including Starbucks, garment brands, to name a few. Oh, there is another annoying thing. The movie is all about the upper-middle class. Girls with career and money live in an expensive condo, wear highend clothes, eat at fancy restaurants all the time, go exploitative vacation, etc., etc. It's not realistic, especially poor Ph.D. students, sigh ...