Thursday, August 6, 2009

T

I thought the Boston subway system, T, is good (yeah, I remember I said this in the post above). But I found it is not so good.

My hotel is in Cambridge, which is several stations away from the conference venue. To get to the hotel, I was supposed to take one line and get off at the terminal station of that line.

I got on the subway at the nearest station to the conference venue. The train ran a couple of stations without problem. And I heard an onboard announcement by saying, "This train is taking out of service." What the hell?! Man, I thought I could take a shower and go to bed in 10, 15 minutes. See, I was tired after a long flight and conference. I didn't expect that I had to get off the train halfway through.

Complaining does not lead to anything. So, I waited another train coming. But, next train was also out of service. Train after train, they were all out of service. People were still standing at the platform, waiting. Finally, the station announced that there was an electric issue at somewhere, and no train would go farther from this station. Damn. I cursed Boston. You know, I'm tired!

I was told to get to the ground and take a bus. But which bus? What number of the bus? This guy said, "It doesn't matter." Really?! Skeptical about what he said, I climbed up the stairs and got out of the station. Ta-da, there was a bus, sitting next to the station! The signboard of the bus said, "Lechmere," which I was going, yea! It turned out to be a shuttle which the subway arranged.

I usually don't like buses because I don't know where they take me. Well, it is not exactly right. They have their routes, so passengers know where they take them. But, you know, I don't know with what timing I should ring the stop button. And there are other stuff which makes me nervous on the bus. Anyway.

Tonight, I was comfortable on the bus because I knew where it would take me and where I would get off. Also, I enjoyed a short but free sightseeing. Nice.