Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Noooooo, United!

Y is sweet, he gave me a ride to the airport. The problem happened after he drove me off.

It is a small airport so that it takes, say, 5 minutes to get to the gate. So, I was at the gate one hour before the flight, which was scheduled at 8:30ish tonight. Then, a gate agent announced the flight delay because of a visibility issue--foggy San Francisco, which was my first destination, not the final destination. I needed to catch a connecting flight in San Francisco.

I talked with the gate agent. She punched the computer and found no later flights today from San Francisco to Boston, which is my final destination. I need to be in Boston by 4 tomorrow. Conference! My session will start at 5 tomorrow!

The agent gave me the only option for me: Fly to San Francisco tonight anyway, and take the 6 in the morning flight to Boston tomorrow, which will arrive in Boston at 3ish in the evening. Of course, because this is a delay because of the weather, United has no obligation or responsibility to put passengers in hotels.

Well, I didn't have another choice.

Finally, I got to San Francisco around 11:30ish. I was wondering during the flight: "Well, I will arrive in San Francisco almost midnight, and take a flight early in the morning. Is it worth taking a room to stay four hours?" Guess what? I chose to stay at the airport. Geez, I cannot sleep on these uncomfortable chairs in this freezingly air-conditioned airport.