Sunday, December 4, 2011

Coffee Shop Refugee


Going to my favorite coffee shop in my neighborhood is kind of my routine. I went there yesterday and found it was packed. I had to come home.

I tried again this afternoon. Again, it was packed. Ah, Dead Week has started. That makes good sense. A familiar barista spotted and waved to me. I said to him, "I'll be back," and left.

I came home. But I wanted to spend some time out of the house, reading. I decided to go to a Starbucks a little away from downtown, thinking that the shop must be less busy. I drove there. I stayed on the left lane to make a left into the parking lot. I was seeing the shop. The shop was right there. Before getting to the shop, I had to turn left onto freeway. Damn it, I was on a left-turn lane.

I drove farther and farther away from the Starbucks on freeway. I knew there's another Starbucks around an exit. So, I got off at the exit and drove to the Starbucks. I didn't even dare to go in the parking lot because I saw it was packed, ugh.

This time of the year, during the weekends, shops are busy, busy, busy because of Christmas shopping. Coffee shops may be also busy serving those Christmas shoppers. The last Starbucks that I tried is located next to a big shopping mall.

I ran out of coffee-shop ideas. And, I was running out of gas, too. Damn. I got back on freeway to a cheap gas station, filled it up, and came home.

Now, I'm having a cup of coffee that I brewed myself. I just wanted to have coffee out of the house, reading. But it ended up with a long trip in vain. What a day.