Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Human

I felt bad when I heard my school's tech support person calling my name and I realized that I didn't know his name.

The story goes like this ...

I needed my new PC (woo-hoo!) to be connected with the printer in my school to print stuff from my new PC (woo-hoo!). So, I took my PC to the tech support of my school this afternoon. I saw familiar faces there. You know, I'm not a tech person, and I often ask them for help. I know all of their faces but only a couple of their names.

One of the guys who I don't know his name, ugh, attended me. He is one of my favorite tech people, but I didn't know his name, ugh. Basically, I love tech people because they are saviors! He is emotionless as tech people usually are, and it is hard to read what he thinks. But he occasionally says funny things with his serious face, which makes him more funny, at least to me. That's why I like him, though I didn't know his name, ugh.

He had a hard time to set up the printer with my PC. It took a while, while I had to go in and out of Help Desk to run errands. I don't remember exactly when he called me by name, but he did. It was a total surprise to me. I knew he knew me by face, but I didn't expect he knew my name. I've been here long enough. He may have set up my school account. He may have been monitoring everyone's account use ... I don't know.

I was so embarrassed that I didn't know his name. It's not polite anyway. While I was running errands, I was trying to figure out how to get his name. The staff directory on the website? Ask one of my admin friends his name? Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do those. I was quite busy running around this afternoon. I went back to his office to collect my PC. Alas, I saw his name plate on the door of his office! His name is TL! Thank God! I felt relieved.

I tend to think that computer people are beyond humanity. Like TL, they are basically emotionless, and they speak a different language that I don't understand. But today's experience overturned my preoccupation. They are human!

TL didn't finish setting up the printer with my PC, and he asked me to come back tomorrow. So, I was like, "OK, T, see you tomorrow!" Phew.