Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Professional Conference Should Be Fun

DM let me observe a presentation of one of Ph.D. students in his school, not from his department though this afternoon. His topic was something like archaeological remains on the moon or something which I couldn't understand. So, I didn't have any opinions on his context, but I had a say about his presentation style. He just read his paper in his presentation. What surprised me is that one of professors commented that his presentation was almost perfect and all presenters at professional conference read papers. It was a practice for him to go to a real professional conference in the near future. But, what? At professional conferences, every scholar just reads their papers? That's not interesting. Boring, in fact. I want to have eye contacts, a sense of humor, passions from presenters as an audience, you know. I told this to DM after we were dismissed, and he agreed with me. Academic presentations must be fun in a sense to reach out not only academic people but also people from outside the field, that's what I believe.