Friday, February 1, 2008

All of Sudden

The world seems to open suddenly to me.

I went to a workshop around noon. I was alone when I got there, but a while later, a doctoral student from a different department who I met once in class showed up. She noticed me, and sat next to me. We talked about our terms, exchanged information about courses, and whatever. When I left the workshop, I asked her to exchange phone numbers and email addresses. And we did. It was much easier and more natural than I expected. Wow. I am proud of my efforts to make "friends" (though I don't like this meaningless word).

After the workshop, I had lunch with an assistant professor from South Korea. She told me about hardships that she experienced when she was a doctoral student in Canada. Her story encouraged me a lot, and I felt like I'm not the only person who are suffering. She asked me to have lunch again and go to the movies. Her offering made me feel good because I can think that at least this person feels comfortable, being with me.

After lunch, SA from Business School and I went to buy tickets for "Madame Butterfly" which will come here later this month. SA is also a new friend to me. We met in class, and found a common interest. Anyhow, we dropped by a coffee shop and talked about an hour. Yeah, he speaks a lot. When we got back to school, he took me a tour in Business School, and introduced a Japanese doctoral student to me. I asked her to hang out sometime when she has time. She said sure, but I don't know if it means "sure" or not because she is a Japanese :) Well, it's OK. The point is I could ask her to hang out. That's important to me. And during the tour in Business School, I saw someone who I know. So, we exchanged email addresses ... on and on.

Now at home, I feel like, "Wow, I met and got to know a lot of people who could be my friends." At the same time, I'm surprised at that I'm thinking positive.