Friday, February 29, 2008

Huh! Orientalism!


SA and I spent a cultural night tonight by seeing the opera, "Madama Butterfly." Man, this is the only opera that I can understand. The good thing was that there was subtitles too. That helped me understood a lot.

By the way, I was glad SA has a car to get there. It was raining so hard tonight.

The opera was good even though I think seeing operas played in Italy (Come on, E&L! Let's go to see operas in Verona!) must be much better, and I know it reflects pure Orientalism. I thought, "Geez, man, Japanese people, especially women, look like that to Western people's eyes?! I'm not like that." Well, if I'm like that, I wouldn't have been here as a student this old.

More than anything, I enjoyed the night away from school. Well, I know I can't totally forget about concerns about papers, research and other things related to school. Damn, I remember I have to rewrite one paper.

After the opera, well, before the opera too, SA bought me a couple of drink as my b-day presents. Thanks SA for drinks and giving me rides!