Saturday, March 31, 2012

Third and Last Farewell Party


I was running around in the afternoon, buying a thank you card for the S family, a birthday card and flowers for MT, pumping up the van to return to DS, etc. I realized that I’d been so selfish that I hadn’t thought of farewell gifts for the S family, ugh! I also realized how hard to come up with gift ideas for people who have included me as a part of their family. With my dead brain, I bought a gift card of their favorite restaurant and placed it in the thank you card. I also ordered a package of Japanese KitKat for the kids on Rakuten. MB and EB love KitKat, and I hope a variety of Japanese KitKat surprises them.  It will be delivered to my parents’ house in Japan, and my mom will eventually forward it to the S family. A gift card and KitKat are nothing, compared with what they have done for me in my years in this hippie town. Nothing can express my gratitude for them enough …

I confirmed that I’ve been loved by people here. MT organized a potluck polka party tonight. It was partially a farewell party for me and partially a birthday party for MT herself and another. This was my third farewell party this week. It was a big crowd with people from the Rotary Club and the local community. People wished me good luck (of course, they teased me a lot by making up scary stories about Ohio), and DS gave me a sweet speech about me.  It was overwhelming to me. At the same time, I’m glad that I got to know all those lovely people in the last five (actually less than four) years. It takes time to establish good relationships, and it is really sad to give up on those good relationships.