Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Young Students

I felt kind of generation gap today in the class I'm doing TA. The class had an exam today, which was not difficult at all if you attended classes and read the textbook. During the exam, I was asked questions from some students (I praise their bravity to ask me questions because I barely speak English), and I became speechless to hear the questions. One student asked me if he could keep the exam paper after the exam. Definitely no! You have to write down on it and hand it in. Didn't you listen to the professor's instruction?! One student asked me if 1885 is the 18th century or 19th century. What?! I doubted my ears. We are living in 2007 and at the same time in the 21st century. Guess from the present! One student asked what UNESCO stands for. I got a headache.

Young students are still cute to me, but I cannot simply understand them. Why didn't they get prepared for the exam? The professor explained again and again about the exam and gave specific areas which would be on the exam. If they read the textbook, the exam might have been pretty easy. Don't they care about grades at all?

After the exam, I graded essay parts of the exam. It was almost a comedy that majority of the exam-takers made up stories. I don't think I'm a strict marker, but I can't help giving them 0 point. They're gonna hate me.