Thursday, September 6, 2007

Internet

I went to the computing center to seek advice from computer guys from the university about the Internet at home. It’s unbelievable inconvenient if you don’t have Internet connections at home, well especially you are an optical-fiber-spoiled-Japanese as me. Though I asked my neighbors to borrow their wifi, they didn’t like to share. I have no choice except to have my own Internet.

The computer guys said Comcast was the best option as my neighbors did. OK. I called Comcast and asked about their services. They says only Internet service (without cable TV or telephone) costs $52.95 per month. Are they kidding?! It’s not optical-fiber or 100Mbps at all, but it costs $53!!! That’s ridiculous (for Japanese at least). But they are doing sales promotion right now, and it’s gonna be $32 for the first six months, but they will charge me $49 for installation (this is also discount, and it normally costs ridiculously $99). Wait a minute. If you are in Japan, you would have two-month free Internet at least with free installation fee. Though I felt the Internet gap in the U.K. a couple years ago, here is worse. Gee, I’m in an Internet-developing country now.