Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Son?!

I went on my bus adventure which has become a routine since my student ID was issued. Today’s bus driver was a talkative, merry lady. When I asked her to drop me off close to somewhere, she willingly accepted. On the way, she kept talking to me like, “Well, if you live in Eugene, blah-blah-blah,” “Take so-and-so bus to get there, blah-blah-blah” and blah-blah-blah. After a while, she said, “Son, here’s your stop.” In the first place, I didn’t realize that she was talking to me. So, I ignored. Then, she turned around, peeped out of the driver’s seat to face to me and said again, “Son, here’s your stop.” Oh, well, she thought I was a boy. Yeah, I was wearing a cap with which you might think I am a boy and I acknowledge my breasts are quite flat. But because I chatted with her for a while, it seems to have been obvious I’m a girl (a little older, though) with a tone of voice. Or, I may misunderstand the definition of “son,” and the word might be applied for a female child?! Amazing American English.