Monday, September 17, 2007

Orientation Week Starts

I was ridiculously nervous in the morning, thinking, “I will meet a bunch of people who I don’t know,” “What if they don’t understand my English?,” “Will they like me?,” “They may think of me as a weird-looking, eyeglasses-wearing, prototype-looking Japanese-like Asian or something?” (Gee, I should’ve hung my camera around my neck to make my appearance perfect!), and so forth. I went to the bathroom again and again before I left home though I didn’t want to relieve myself at all. That’s funny. I almost laughed at myself.

At school, yeah, there were a bunch of people who I didn’t know. At the moment I turned around and rushed to the door to get out (Oh well, I didn’t actually do this. A little exaggeration here.), someone said hi to me. So, that’s it. I came in to the classroom and sat next to him, chatting. Then, the orientation started, all students, faculty and staff introduced themselves, and we had lunch together. Yey, I survived! I got over one of orientations!

The one thing that I felt today is that everyone looked serious. Master’s students back in Cardiff were not like students here. They were more relaxed and most of them didn’t have backgrounds in journalism. Actually some of them were just out of undergraduate. But here, many of them seem to have already got in touch with their advisors and supervising instructors. Gee, I haven’t done that yet. I emailed to my advisor, but she hasn’t replied me because she’s not here but in Europe or somewhere. What is worse, I didn’t know about my supervising instructor until today. I definitely have to find her tomorrow.